REACH OUT PLAN FOR YOUNGER CHILDREN by Bandana Saikia
? OBJECTIVE OF THE REACH OUT PLAN
The objective behind this reach out plan is to make the younger children know about what is child sexual abuse and teach them about what is safe touch and unsafe touch, teach them that there is nothing wrong in talking about it to their parents and elders as it is never their fault and help them reach out to 5 safe adults if they face any sexual abuse and the basic laws which every young kid should know.
? TARGETED AUDIENCE AND THEIR AGE GROUP
• Two neighborhood kids each aging 7 years old.
• Three cousins each aging 7, 8 and 10 years old respectively.
? AWARENESS MATERIALS USED FOR TEACHING THEM ABOUT CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE
• Posters and Comics used from the KSCF Campaign Content
1. Protect Your Kids from Online Abuse by Prashant Tariyal (http://satyarthi.online/2020/05/14/poster-protect-your-kids-from-online-abuse-by-prashant-tariyal/)
2. Deter the Sexual Predator by Aditi Singh (http://satyarthi.online/2020/05/14/deter-the-sexual-predator-by-aditi-singh/)
• Story and Activity used from the KSCF Campaign Content
1. Story and Activity For CSA Awareness for Children: Enaakshi Majumdar (http://satyarthi.online/2020/06/03/story-and-activity-for-csa-awareness-for-children-enaakshi-majumdar/)
2. Story to sensitize Young Children about CSA by Kuhu (http://satyarthi.online/2020/06/05/story-to-sensitise-young-children-about-csa-by-kuhu/)
3. Activity: Good Secrets and Bad Secrets by Enaakshi Majumdar (http://satyarthi.online/2020/06/03/activity-good-secrets-and-bad-secrets-by-enaakshi-majumdar/)
• Articles, Essays, Poems and Videos used from the KSCF Campaign Content
1. Internet Safety Guidelines by Age by Prashant Tariyal (http://satyarthi.online/2020/06/03/agewise-guidelines-to-counsel-your-kids-on-internet-usage-by-prashant-tariyal/)
2. Is it My Fault? By Devanshi Rungta (http://satyarthi.online/2020/05/21/is-it-my-fault-by-devanshi-rungta/)
3. Video on Child Sexual Abuse by Sonali Rastogi (http://satyarthi.online/2020/05/14/video-on-child-sexual-abuse-by-sonali-rastogi/)
? OBSERVATIONS MADE
Children tend to fantasize about a lot of things that may vary from every kid to kid. My reach out plan for targeting Young Children was quite a difficult task for me as kids tend to not pay attention to things which don’t really amuse them but the Campaign materials beautifully made by my peer virtual volunteers helped me in making it interesting for them to listen and know what actually Child Sexual Abuse is. The first question that was posed before me by one of my cousins was “Didi Hum mummy papa se darte hai kyuki hume pata nahi hota hume kya share karna chahiye aur kya nahi”. This question gave me this instant feeling that from a very young age children fear in reaching out to their parents because they feel afraid of getting scold as their parents don’t really take matters like healthy childhood both mentally and emotionally seriously. The Activity prepared by my friend Enaakshi Majumdar actually helped me in explaining to them why I reached out to them. I took a print out of her activity and shared the same with them asking them to color them and hand it over to me and it came to me as a surprise that children these days although may tend not to speak about the child sexual abuse experience but they are aware of what is morally correct and what is morally wrong. The activity results helped me understand that although kids may not understand what exactly child sexual abuse is but they are sensitized about the matter in some basic level of understanding. The posters seemed fascinating to them as all of them were really interested in knowing what they actually tell them about. I tried to summarize the articles and the poems coupling them together and sensitized about the matter in an easily understandable manner.
? SUGGESTIONS FOR YOUNGER KIDS
• Young kids should never hesitate from reaching out to their parents about anything. They should open up about everything to their parents and if their parents don’t pay attention to them, they should express their concerns through the medium of drawing and artwork.
• Young kids should have five trustworthy adults to reach out if they experience child sexual abuse. Five trustworthy adults include – Their Parents, their siblings, their grandparents, their best friend, and someone from their neighborhood or their relatives who are always close to them.
? SUGGESTIONS FOR PARENTS
• Parents should try to limit their strictness and talk to their kids about their day-to-day activities apart from just asking them about how they are doing with their studies.
• Parents should try to sensitize their children from a very young age about matters related to Child Sexual Abuse as experiences as such disturb the child’s both emotional and mental development.